It’s not! It’s really not my fault! I don’t even know how or when I got it. But I feel like it is my fault because I have a disease that most doctors don’t believe exists. It’s not my fault that doctors are uneducated in Chronic Lyme Disease or Post-Treatment Lyme Disease, Co-Infections and all the other things that come with it. But it’s really not fair to treat someone so poorly because they have it. I would be treated so much better if I had Cancer. Lyme Disease is much worse than Cancer! You are thinking,…NO SHE’S CRAZY! But it’s true. You CAN die from Lyme Disease. Yes, that is true. It’s a scary disease. So let’s compare Breast Cancer to Lyme Disease.
American Cancer Society – The American Cancer Society’s estimates for breast cancer in the United States for 2016 are:
- About 246,660 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed in women.
- About 61,000 new cases of carcinoma in situ (CIS) will be diagnosed (CIS is non-invasive and is the earliest form of breast cancer).
- About 40,450 women will die from breast cancer.
In 2013 the CDC updated it’s statistics stating that they now estimate over 300,000 new cases of lyme disease each year. And those are just the reported cases. Unfortunately, due to the lack of education of medical doctors thousands and thousands of people are misdiagnosed. Check out these links:
The number of people that die from Lyme Disease is not clearly known because most cases of Lyme are misdiagnosed as something else like, Fibromyalgia, ALS, MS, RA, CFS, Alzheimers, Crohns, Psychiatric Disorders, any auto-immune disorder and numerous others diseases. That’s why it’s called The Great Imitator” Check out New York Times 1993, Under Our Skin Article 2012, and see Dr. Horowitz, MD and many other books, books and more books.
If I had Cancer no one would even think that I was faking the crippling pain and nausea. No one would ever questions that I wasn’t suffering. No one would ever think I was making it all up. No one would treat me like an addict just seeking drugs. Seriously, think about it. No one! Not Doctors—Not Friends—Not Family—Not Co-Workers—No One! Have you ever doubted anyone when they told you they had or have Cancer. No, I didn’t think so. Have you ever doubted anyone when they got sicker while doing chemo treatments. No, I didn’t think so. That’s why Lyme is worse. There is NO support! There is only inadequate medical care and uneducated and unsupportive doctors.
So here’s to all those medical professionals and others who think I have something else besides Lyme. Or think that Lyme is easily treated. Or think I make up this pain.
- I have been to numerous doctors before seeing a Lyme Literate MD
- I have had doctors rule out other things you think I have.
- No, the lab that did my lyme testing is not fake.
- I have spent a year educating myself about Lyme Disease and I know a lot more about it than you do.
- My pain is real! I had a life and a career before getting daily migraines 21 years ago. It’s not my fault my body is on fire and no one has figured it out yet.
- I have tried many daily drugs to lessen my pain and they DO NOT WORK so I need pain meds.
- I look fine to you because I fake it! I lie about how I am doing because most people really don’t care when they ask “How’s it going?” or “How are you?” We all know that is just a common meaningless gesture.
- I am not an addict seeking drugs. I am crippled and can barely walk without pain meds. I feel like a “Walker” because I run into walls in my house because I am so feeble and ready to collapse most of the time.
- Because Lyme comprises my immune system I have many other illnesses but I still have LYME!
- Most treatments are not covered my insurance because the CDC determines treatment courses and they believe one course of antibiotics is enough. Lyme is not easily treated and cured. It’s complicated!
As you can see the number of reported cases of Breast Cancer and Lyme Disease are around the same each year. But remember many cases of Lyme are not reported because they are misdiagnosed. Have you read about Kris Kristofferson?
So to those medical professionals who still don’t think I have Lyme Disease, what do you suggest I do?
- Do you think I should start over and re-do tests that came back negative?
- Do you think I should just pick a diagnosis that fits in your box?
- What do you expect me to do when I receive negative test results for the things you think I have?
- What do you expect me to do when the pain is real and I’m told it’s not and that I need psychiatric meds?
- What do you expect me to do when I am crippled with pain and no one will help me?
- What do I do when the only tests that come back positive are for infections called lyme disease and lyme disease co-infections.
- Please get educated!
- Please stop treating me like a drug addict.
- Please don’t rule out Lyme Disease as a diagnosis for other patients and send them to a LLMD. Don’t do the testing yourself. You don’t know what you are doing!
I wish everyone could spend ONE day in my shoes to develop some compassion. You would also begin to understand what fatigue and pain really is and learn that most days I feel like I am going to die. Because I can tell you you have NO CLUE!
Lyme is a huge epidemic and the denial by our government is killing people like me.