What is Lyme Disease?
Generally, Lyme Disease (LD) is an infection caused by the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi. It can be contracted by a bite from insects such as ticks, fleas and mosquitos. However, It has been shown to be transmitted via blood and from mom to baby in Utero.
I consider LD to be an UMBRELLA of illnesses because most everyone that has LD has co-infections and other health issues. Getting bit by a tick and not getting treatment immediately can cause a lifetime of severe and chronic disabling symptoms.
Sadly, the misinformation from the CDC about Lyme Disease and the in accurate testing has caused millions of people to suffer unnecessarily. Your regular doctors are uneducated. Your doctor may test you for LD but over 50% of the tests come back with false negatives. Read about the testing here. I highly recommend doing testing on your own at DNA Connexions. It’s $500 for the lyme panel and it tests the DNA of the bacteria and not immune response so if can be more accurate. It worked better for me.
How do I prevent Lyme Disease?
- My Blog Post 5/15/17
- I use deet free products with Lemon-Eucalyptus essential oils. I use sprays from Kesh Naturals and spray from Amrita Auromatherapy and bracelets on amazon from Qhiti
- I also made my own lotion with essential oils and coconut oil and shea butter. I whip it all together and put in dark glass jars.
- Consumer Reports advice on Bug Repellants, May 13, 2015.
What do I do if I get bit?
- Follow these tips for tick removal
- Get the tick tested at Bay Area Lyme Foundation
- Options for treatment
- Wait and See (I would not recommend)
- Treat with antibiotics. I’ve been told it’s recommended to do 6-8 weeks of antibiotics. See a Lyme Literate MD to get proper treatments, advice, consultation and testing.
What are some options to determine whether or not I have Lyme Disease?
- Start with your Primary Care Physician [PCP] or other specialists.
- Go with your gut! Don’t just accept diagnoses. If you receive any “diagnosis” and are not told the cause do not accept it. So if they say “we don’t know what causes your symptoms” or there are no known causes for XXX. Leave the office and get to a Lyme Literate MD. So if you are told you have any of these move one: Fibromyalgia, ALS, MS, Alzheimers, Depression, Anxiety, Bi-Polar, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Rheumatoid Arthritis and many more…..
- Check your symptoms on the Lyme Research Alliance Symptom List.
- Find a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor [LLMD] on the Doctor Referral System on the Lyme Disease Association, Inc. website.
- Find a Naturopathic Doctor.
- Find an Integrative Medicine Doctor.
- Complete The Lyme-MSIDS Questionnaire by Dr. Horowitz.
- Check your symptoms at lymedisease.org
- Talk to other Lyme Disease patients via online blogs and forums.
- Again, GO WITH YOUR GUT FEELING! I didn’t accept the first 4 diagnosis’s. I felt something was deeply wrong based on knowing my body. I did have NUMEROUS tests before going to a LLMD.